Virginia Beach Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys Assert Victims’ Rights
Firm provides capable, compassionate representation for Virginia personal injury claims throughout the Hampton Roads area
If a hidden hazard on someone else’s property causes a sudden fall requiring medical treatment, you want a capable Virginia Beach slip and fall accident attorney on your side. At Ernest Law Group, PLC, our accident attorneys provide the skilled and dedicated representation you need to recover the compensation you deserve. We also meet with clients in Norfolk and serve clients throughout the Hampton Roads area, including in Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News and Suffolk. Whether your accident occurred at a store, on a sidewalk, in someone else’s home or anywhere else, we will press for appropriate legal relief.
Falls often occur because of property owner negligence
Business owners have a duty to inspect their premises to ensure the grounds are reasonably safe for visitors. When property owners fail in this duty, they can overlook common problems that lead to injury-causing slips and trips, such as:
- Torn carpets
- Spills on the floor
- Loose tiles
- Uneven surfaces
- Poor lighting
Under the legal theory of premises liability, the person in control of the property can be held liable for any injuries caused by their failure to take reasonable safety measures.
How do you prove negligence in slip and fall injury cases?
For a property owner to be liable for a hazard that causes injury, the accident victim must prove the owner acted unreasonably. This could mean:
- The owner or an agent of the owner created the hazard
- The owner knew or should have known about the hazard but didn’t correct it or point it out in a manner that would have provided sufficient warning to visitors
- The owner attempted to correct the problem, but the remedy was inadequate
- The owner was unreasonable in failing to discover a problem that a reasonable person would have found
If the accident victim can prove liability, he or she can collect personal injury compensation.
Common types of Virginia Beach slip and fall injuries
Hitting the ground after a trip or slip can cause medical problems such as:
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including compressed vertebrae and displaced discs
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments and cartilage
Victims of slip and fall accidents might suffer longstanding effects of their incident, including debilitating chronic pain.
How slip and fall accidents can be prevented
Property owners should vigilantly guard against the possibility of a slip and fall accident. Precautions to be taken could include the following:
- Posting signs to alert visitors of danger
- Making repairs immediately
- Cleaning spills immediately
- Keeping public areas well lit
- Conducting regular safety inspections
- Responding quickly to reports of hazards
Businesses should be aware of the standards for their industry and adhere closely to the best practices.
How are settlements determined in a slip and fall injury case?
Our Virginia Beach personal injury law firm is determined to recover the maximum amount of compensation possible for your injuries. There are many factors that go into determining the potential amount of a settlement, such as:
- How clear the property owner’s liability is
- Whether the hazard was visible prior to the accident
- How unreasonable the property owner’s conduct was
- How long the condition existed before the accident
- The severity of the victim’s injuries
- The prognosis for the victim’s recovery
- The total of economic losses, including medical bills and lost income
A slip and fall is often a complex case to make to a judge or jury, particularly under Virginia law, which prevents partially liable plaintiffs from collecting damages. This is why you should only entrust your case to an experienced injury lawyer.
Contact a dedicated slip and fall accident attorney in Virginia Beach for a free consultation
Ernest Law Group, PLC advocates on behalf of slip and fall accident victims in and around Virginia Beach. Our firm has a meeting location in Norfolk and also assists clients from Hampton Roads communities including Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News and Suffolk. To schedule a free consultation with a skilled personal injury attorney, call 757-289-2499 or contact us online.